Try this tasty Italian sausage and potatoes for an easy weeknight meal. Sweet Italian sausage, baby yellow potatoes, sweet bell peppers and red onions are cooked all together on a sheet pan for easy prep and easy clean up.
This post was originally published in July 2021 and has been updated for content.
When things are busy during the week, an easy meal is a must. A lot of times I am busy working and running kids around and the last thing I want to do is spend a lot of time prepping a meal.
Sheet pan meals are a great way to cook everything all at once, plus there are fewer dishes to do after dinner!
🥔 Ingredient notes
- Italian Sausage - I typically use sweet or mild Italian sausage for this recipe. If you like more spicy, hot or spicy Italian sausage can be used as well.
- Potatoes - Baby yellow potatoes are small and creamy and take less time to cook due to their size and density. You can use larger potatoes, such as red or russet, however, I do recommend cutting them into smaller sized pieces. This will help them cook evenly.
- Peppers - I like to throw in a couple of bell peppers for some added sweetness and vegetables. You can use whatever color you like and even add some spicy peppers for some more heat!
📋 Substitutions and variations
- Different Sausage - This recipe will work with other types of sausages, such as chicken, bratwurst, polish, or chorizo sausages.
- Different Veggies - Asparagus, green beans, brussels sprouts or even sweet potatoes would work for this dish.
🔪 Step by step instructions
First, slice your peppers and onions into strips and cut the baby potatoes in half. Lay them on a sheet pan and add the sausages in between. Drizzle everything with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Roast in a 400˚ oven in the middle rack for about 45 minutes. The sausages and vegetables should be browned and the potatoes should be fork tender.
If you ever don't recognize a tool or skill that is mentioned, be sure to look it up in our Glossary of Cooking Terms and Definitions for more information.
⭐ Expert tips
- Make sure to cut the onions, peppers, and potatoes into similar sized pieces to allow for even cooking in the oven.
- Try and space the sausages and vegetables on the sheet pan, so they roast and brown in the oven evenly.
⏲️ Make ahead and storage suggestions
This Italian sausage and potatoes can be prepped up to 12 hours ahead of time. Place the sausages and veggies on the sheet pan, wrap it in plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator. When it's time to cook the meal, take it out of the refrigerator while you preheat the oven. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper and cook as directed.
Leftover Italian sausage and potatoes will keep in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3-5 days. Leftovers can be kept in the freezer in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
🥘 More easy dinner recipes
If you loved this sheet pan Italian sausage and potatoes, check out these other easy dinner recipes that I know you will love too!
Italian Sausage and Potatoes
- 1 ½ pounds baby yellow potatoes
- 1 small green bell pepper
- 1 small orange bell pepper
- ½ large red onion
- 2 pounds Italian sausage mild or hot
- 5 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- Slice the potatoes in half lengthwise and slice the peppers and onions into half to one inch slices.
- Lay the vegetables on the prepared sheet pan and nestle the sausages in between the vegetables.
- Drizzle the sausages and vegetables with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast everything in the oven for about 40-45 minutes until the sausages and peppers are browned and cooked through.
- Cut onions, peppers, and potatoes into similar sized pieces for even cooking.
- Space sausages and vegetables on the sheet pan for even roasting.
Substitutions and Variations
- Sausage - Sweet, mild, hot, or spicy Italian sausages work. Chicken sausage, bratwurst, polish, or chorizo sausages may also be used.
- Potatoes - Larger potatoes, such as red or russet can also be used but should be cut into smaller pieces.
- Peppers - Any color of bell peppers can be used or spicy peppers too.
- Vegetables - Add extra veggies, like asparagus, green beans, brussels sprouts or sweet potatoes.