Learn how to make the best Nutella pancakes recipe with just a handful of ingredients. These fluffy pancakes are made with Nutella mixed right in the batter for a sweet delicious treat!
This post was originally published in June 2021 and has been updated for content.
We love having breakfast in our house, whether it's in the morning or for dinner. This Nutella pancake recipe is a fun twist on our favorite homemade pancakes made with buttermilk.
Both kids and adults go wild for these pancakes, so make sure to make a double batch! This is the perfect treat to serve up with ham and cheese biscuits or hash brown quiche for a special breakfast or weekend brunch.
For even more Nutella deliciousness, make sure to check out my homemade Nutella cheesecake!
🍫 Ingredient notes
- Nutella - Nutella originally was created in Italy as a sweet paste made from hazelnuts and sugar with a smidge of cocoa powder. It eventually developed into the sweet and creamy chocolate hazelnut spread that is known and loved today. Nutella is mixed right into the batter to give them a little chocolate flavor with a hint of hazelnut.
- Batter - These Nutella pancakes include instructions for homemade pancake batter, however you can also use this method to make them with pre-made pancake mix. Simply mix the Nutella right into the finished batter. Additional liquid may need to be added to the batter to thin out the consistency.
📋 Substitutions and variations
Mini Pancakes - Use only 2 Tablespoons of batter per pancake to make mini Nutella pancakes.
Dippers - Pour the batter into 3-4 inch strips that are about 1-inch thick for a fun weekend breakfast that can be to dipped into syrup!
Toppings - Fresh fruit, chopped nuts, coconut flakes, chocolate chips, caramel sauce, buttermilk syrup, peanut butter, biscoff spread, whipped cream or an extra Nutella drizzle are other great toppings you can add.
🥣 Step by step instructions
First, whisk together the all purpose flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Mix the melted unsalted butter with the Nutella and then mix in the egg and whole milk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix till smooth.
Cook for about 45-60 seconds on the first side until they start to brown and bubbles form on the top. Flip and cook for an additional 30 seconds until golden brown.
Finish cooking the remaining batter as directed above and then serve the cooked pancakes with chopped hazelnuts and maple syrup.
If you ever don't recognize a tool or skill that is mentioned, be sure to look it up in our Glossary of Cooking Terms and Definitions for more information.
⭐ Expert tips
- The best way to cook the Nutella pancakes is over medium low heat. If the heat is too high, the outside of the pancake will cook too fast and the middle will still be raw.
- If you like thinner Nutella pancakes, then add additional milk to the batter.
- Bring your milk and also the egg to room temperature to make sure they easily mix with the Nutella and butter mixture.
- Make sure to mix the Nutella with the melted butter well so that it easy mixes in with the other wet ingredients.
⏲️ Make ahead and storage instructions
This delicious recipe for Nutella pancakes can also be cooked ahead of time and frozen. Allow them to cool completely and then place them on a lined baking sheet to freeze in a single layer. Transfer frozen pancakes to a freeze baggie or freezer safe container for up to 2 months.
Leftover pancakes will keep at room temperature for 2-3 days. Reheat in the microwave or in a pan on the stovetop with a little bit of butter.
🥞 More sweet breakfast recipes
If you loved this recipe for Nutella pancakes, here are even more sweet breakfast recipes that I know you will love too!
- Silver Dollar Pancakes
- Overnight Blueberry French Toast
- Banana Bread with Greek Yogurt
- Easy Crepe Batter Recipe
Easy Nutella Pancakes
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅓ cup Nutella
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted, plus extra for greasing the pan
- 1 ⅓ cups whole milk room temperature
- 1 large egg room temperature
- chopped hazelnuts optional topping
- maple syrup optional topping
- In a large mixing bowl add the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt and whisk to combine and remove any lumps.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the melted butter with the Nutella and whisk until smooth. Add the milk and eggs and whisk again to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk together to combine everything into a creamy batter. Some lumps are ok.
- Grease the pan or griddle lightly with butter and use a ladle or measuring cup to pour ¼ cup of the batter onto the pan for each pancake.
- Cook the pancakes for 45 - 60 seconds until bubbles start to form and pop, and the underside is golden brown. Flip pancakes and cook an additional 30 seconds until golden brown. Repeat with the remaining batter until all pancakes have been cooked.
- Top pancakes with chopped hazelnuts and syrup, if desired.
- Thin - Add additional milk to the batter.
- Mini - Use only 2 Tablespoons for batter per pancake.
- Dippers - Pour the batter into 3-4 inch strips that are about 1-inch thick.
- Pancake Mix - Use store-bought pancake mix and add Nutella to the finished batter. Additional liquid may need to be added to thin out the batter.
- Toppings - Add fresh fruit, chopped nuts, coconut flakes, chocolate chips, caramel sauce, buttermilk syrup, peanut butter, biscoff spread, whipped cream or additional Nutella drizzled on top.
- Make Ahead - Freeze finished pancakes in a single layer on a lined sheet pan. Transfer to a freezer safe bag or container for up to 2 months.
- Leftovers - Keep leftovers in a bag or airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days. Reheat in the microwave or in a pan with a bit of butter.