This creamy whipped ricotta is infused with lemon for a super easy appetizer that can be served with grilled bread, fresh vegetables, or even crackers. This tasty spread is perfect for snacking or a Summertime BBQ.
When planning a menu for a get-together, I really like to focus on making at least one or two simple dishes. It makes it easier on myself and I think simple is best sometimes. Easy appetizers are a great way to reduce your time in the kitchen while still making something flavorful for your guests.
🍋 Ingredient notes
- Ricotta - I highly recommend using whole milk ricotta for this recipe. It's thicker and creamier and will make a better spread. Part-skim ricotta is a bit more watery and won't make the best creamy spread for this appetizer. You can also make your own homemade ricotta if you like!
- Grilled bread - I like serving this whipped ricotta with slices of grilled Italian baguette. Alternatively, you can serve this with bagel chips, crackers, or even vegetables!
🥣 Step by step instructions
Combine the ricotta, olive oil, lemon juice and zest, and salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl.
Using a hand mixer, whip the ingredients together on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until fluffy and well combined. Store spread in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve it.
Slice baguette into 15-20 slices that are about one inch thick. Brush each side with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Grill the baguette slices on a preheated grill or grill pan for 2-3 minutes on each side until they are lightly browned and toasted.
Serve chilled ricotta mixture with slices of grilled bread!
If you ever don't recognize a tool or skill that I mention, be sure to look it up in the Glossary of Cooking Terms and Definitions for more information.
⭐ Top tip
For a thicker spread, strain your ricotta overnight in cheesecloth over a bowl to remove excess moisture.
- Spicy - add your favorite hot sauce or ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes to make a zestier spread!
- Herbs - add a few finely chopped fresh basil leaves to the dip for an herby freshness
- Gluten free - This dip is naturally gluten free, however you can serve it with gluten free crackers, bread or fresh vegetables!
💭 Frequently asked questions
Yes! This whipped ricotta can be made in a food processor, a stand mixer or in a mixing bowl with a hand mixer. You can also whip it by hand too!
Yes. The baguette slices can be toasted in the oven under the broiler, on the grill or even in a grill pan on the stovetop.
For a quick overview of this recipe, check out my web story for this lemon whipped ricotta!
🧀 More appetizer recipes
If you loved this recipe for whipped lemon ricotta spread, check out these other homemade appetizers that I know you will love too!
- Cold Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Roasted Grapes and Olives
- Pepperoncini Dip with Bagel Chips
- Pepperoni Pizza Dip
Whipped Ricotta with Lemon
- 15 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium lemon juice and zest
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Slice baguette into approximately 15-20 slices that are about 1 inch thick. Preheat grill or grill pan on medium high.
- Brush each slice of bread generously on both sides with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill for approximately 2-3 minutes on each side until lightly browned and toasted.
- Serve with whipped ricotta spread.