These perfectly roasted sliced potatoes are the best side dish. Thick sliced sweet and russet potatoes are doused in olive oil and fresh herbs and roasted perfectly in the oven.
You all know I'm a huge fan of roasting veggies and potatoes are no exception. It brings out an amazing flavor and the potatoes are both crispy and creamy at the same time. I love doing a mix of both sweet potatoes and russet potatoes for the best of both worlds. These crispy baked potato slices are good with almost any meal!
🥔 Ingredient notes
- Potatoes - Russet and sweet potatoes are both about the same density and can be found in about the same size. This allows as well as slicing them the same size will allow for even cooking.
- Herbs - I used fresh thyme and sage leaves for this recipe. Alternatively, you can use dried herbs instead. For dried herbs, adjust the amount to only 1 Tablespoon of each.
🔪 Step by step instructions
First, wash your potatoes and cut the ends off of them. Slice the potatoes into 1" thick slices.
Next, add your potato slices, olive oil, fresh herbs, and salt to a large bowl and toss to evenly coat all of the slices with the olive oil and seasonings.
Then, place the seasoned potato sliced onto two sheet pans that have been lined with parchment paper. Make sure the potatoes are evenly spaced and in one layer.
Lastly, roast the potato slices in a 400˚ oven for about 30 minutes until fork tender and slightly crispy on the outside.
If you ever don't recognize a tool or skill that I mention, be sure to look it up in the Glossary of Cooking Terms and Definitions for more information.
⭐ Top tip
Rotate the two sheet pans on the oven racks about half way through cooking time. This will ensure that both pans of potatoes are evenly cooked.
- Cheese - Top freshly roasted potato slices with finely shredded parmesan or pecorino romano cheese
- Spicy - Mix in ½ teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes with the olive oil and fresh herbs before roasting.
- Extra crispy - Roast the potatoes for 20 minutes and then flip and roast an additional 15-20 minutes for extra browned, crispy slices.
🥘 More side dish recipes
If you loved this recipe for my herb roasted sliced potatoes, check out these other side dish recipes that I know you will love.
Herb Roasted Sliced Potatoes
- Wash potatoes and cut off the ends. Slice potatoes in 1" thick slices.
- In a large bowl, add potato slices, olive oil, fresh herbs, and salt. Toss to combine until all of the slices are evenly coated with olive oil and seasonings.
- Place seasoned potato slices evenly spaced on the prepared sheet pans in a single layer.
- Roast potato slices in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, rotating the sheet pans between oven racks halfway through for even cooking. Potatoes should be lightly crispy and fork tender.