This cold buffalo chicken dip recipe is an easy appetizer for game day, family get togethers or the holiday season. Shredded chicken is mixed with cream cheese, sour cream and ranch dressing and seasoned with hot sauce, blue cheese and green onions. Perfect with tortilla chips, crackers or celery sticks and carrot sticks!
I love having an easy appetizer recipe to whip up if friends come over or if I'm making a larger holiday meal. This buffalo chicken dip is the perfect appetizer for a potluck, road trip or at your next party!
If you love that classic buffalo flavor, make sure to check out my buffalo chicken burgers that are stuffed with blue cheese butter!
🌶 Ingredient notes
- Chicken - The cold dip recipe includes instructions for cooking chicken breast to shred. It can also easily be made with rotisserie chicken bought from the grocery store to make things easier.
- Hot Sauce - I love adding frank's red hot buffalo sauce for a spicy kick, however, you can use any buffalo wing sauce that you like. It doesn't add too much spice, but you can certainly cut the amount in half if you like.
📋 Substitutions and variations
- Extra Spicy - Add a ⅛ - ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper to make this an extra spicy buffalo chicken dip.
- Cheese - Blue cheese crumbles are added to create that classic combo of buffalo chicken wings served with blue cheese dressing. If you aren't a fan of blue cheese, this can be subbed with cheddar cheese instead.
🥣 Step by step instructions
First, add the boneless skinless chicken breasts to a pot and top with chicken broth or stock. Cover and cook for about 10-15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
Shred the cooked chicken into smaller pieces on a cutting board using two forks or in a bowl with a hand mixer. Place the chicken in the refrigerator to cool completely.
In a large bowl, combine the shredded chicken, cream cheese, sour cream, ranch dressing, hot sauce, blue cheese crumbles, sliced green onion, garlic powder, and onion powder. Mix everything together until all of the ingredients are well combined.
Chill this cheesy dip covered in plastic wrap in the refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour or overnight for best results. This will allow the flavors to meld together. Serve the cold buffalo chicken dip with celery, carrots, crackers, or chips.
If you ever don't recognize a tool or skill that is mentioned, be sure to look it up in our Glossary of Cooking Terms and Definitions for more information.
⭐ Expert tips
- Always cook chicken to an internal temperature of 165˚ when checked with a kitchen thermometer.
- Allow the chicken to cool completely before mixing with the other ingredients so it doesn't melt the cheese.
- Soften the cream cheese first, so it easily mixes together with the other ingredients.
- Let this tasty dip chill overnight if you can, to give the flavors time to meld together. It's even better the next day!
⏲️ Make ahead and storage instructions
This cold buffalo dip with chicken can be made up to 3 days ahead of time and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
🧀 More easy dip recipes
If you loved this easy buffalo chicken dip recipe, check out these other easy dip recipes that I know you will love too!
- Spicy Sriracha Hummus
- Pepperoncini Dip with Bagel Chips
- Whipped Ricotta with Grilled Bread
- Cheesy Baked Pizza Dip
Cold Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
- 1 ½ pounds chicken breast or 3 cups of shredded cooked chicken
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup ranch dressing
- ⅓ cup buffalo sauce
- ¼ cup blue cheese crumbles plus extra for garnish
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅓ cup sliced green onions plus extra for garnish
- Add the chicken breast to a medium sized pot and pour the chicken broth over it to cover it.
- Cover the pot with a lid and cook on the stovetop over medium heat until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165˚ when checked with a kitchen thermometer.
- When the chicken is cooled, add the remaining ingredients to the bowl with the chicken and mix until everything is well combined.
- Place the dip in a serving bowl, cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour or overnight for best results.
- Allow the chicken to cool completely before mixing with the other ingredients.
- Soften the cream cheese first so it easily mixes together with everything.
- Let the dip chill overnight to give the flavors time to meld together, if possible.
Substitutions and Variations
- Chicken - A rotisserie chicken or cooked shredded chicken can be used.
- Extra Spicy - Add a ⅛ - ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Cheese - Blue cheese can be substituted with cheddar cheese.